Pet Shop Boys "Presseschau"

Die Pet Shop Boys Diskussion. Alles Neue und Interessante zu den Boys. Hier könnt Ihr auch Fragen stellen oder Fragen anderer Fans beantworten.
Nachricht
Autor
Roland
Insider
Insider

Re: Pet Shop Boys "Presseschau"

#1401 Beitrag von Roland »

Die Rolling Stone - "Hotspot" - Rezi Online:

https://www.rollingstone.de/reviews/pet ... s-hotspot/

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1402 Beitrag von Roland »

New York Times zum Tod von Roger Scruton, mit PSB-Bezug.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/0 ... ruton.html

loveetc123
PetHead
PetHead

#1403 Beitrag von loveetc123 »

Bin gerade beim durchstöbern im Musikexpress(online( auf die Plattenkritik von denen über "Actually" gestossen.Das war ja die schlimmste Kritik ,die ich jemals gelesen hatte.Kurios,das die jetzt ein Special etc. über die PSB machen.Damals hätten sie sie am liebsten schon in Rente geschickt.

https://www.musikexpress.de/reviews/das ... -actually/

loveetc123
PetHead
PetHead

#1404 Beitrag von loveetc123 »

So,habe den Express vor mir liegen,nette Frau am Bahnhof,lächel.

Tolles Interview,ohne Fotos.Auch Interwiews mit Wolfgang Tillmans zb.

Die Kritik beinhaltet 4,5 Sterne.

Die Vinyl ist natürlich der Hammer.

Das Interview war noch,bevor sie wussten,das es auch eine Kassette zu Hotspot gibt,zu dem Zeitpunkt überlegten sie nämlich noch.

Nr.1 der ME aller Songs ist übrigens Being Boring.

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1405 Beitrag von Roland »

Ein schöner Hotspot-Artikel in der SZ mit neuem Background-Futter von Neil zu ein paar Songs.

Mit "Will-o-the-wisp" hat Neil mir dann ja schon mal einen Wunsch erfüllt. Jetzt verstehe ich auch, wie sich der Song-Titel ableitet. Freu!

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/neue ... -1.4760590

Tenlow
Insider
Insider

#1406 Beitrag von Tenlow »

Endlich mal was vernünftiges zum Lesen. Danke!
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun.

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1407 Beitrag von Roland »

Hotspot-Interview mit Neil für eine spanische Publikation, übersetzt ins Englische von einem Mitglied im englischen Forum:

Interview in Shangay newspaper. Language: Spanish and for Spanish media. Translated by Nickname (for Pet Shop Boys Community)

https://shangay.com/2020/01/17/pet-shop ... ntrevista/

ABOUT HOTSPOT:

- Electric is more danceable, Super is more pop and Hotspot is more analogic

- We have been writting songs in our studio in Berlin, sometimes he have been recording in Los Angeles, but we wanted to make a Berlin album. That's why we propose Stuart to come there to record the album

- I recorded the song Were You There with Diamond in Hansa Studios, I love it. There is a conexion with Bowie and a lot of histories there. Stuart loves the old technology, so he enjoyed as much as us using the synthesizers we found there for us

- We wanted the album started like our first album, Please (Two Divided by Zero). This song talks about a couple walking down the street. This time in Will-O-The-Wisp, one person goes to a train station to take the U-Bahn (Berlin subway) and we were using the sounds of it for the song. Berlin has even a physical presence in the album

- The cover represents the sound of the album. We used a pic made with my mobile phone. We had another idea but Chris wanted something fuzzy, taciturn. I took the photo and asked him: "something like that?" and he said "perfect". In fact, the pic was taken 4 years ago in front of a mirror

- It's not an ecletic album, it's varied. From Burning the Heather to Monkey Business there is an entire world.

- It's an album with a big melodic strenght.

. You are the One is wonderful. I love the way it is. It takes place in Berlin in summer

- Hoping for a Miracle has a wonderful chord change, Chris composed on piano

- Monkey Business is in my opinion the most effective and genuine dance we have ever recorded. You can play it in a wedding which it's a big praise for me. It started in Austin (Texas). Chris and I were having a lunch and a guy comes to us. He asked if we were PSB and we answered: "yes". He asked us what we were doing there. We said we were going to play in a concert. When we asked him about what he was doing there, he says: "I’m here on monkey business". We saw a song titlte on it. I imagine Mick Jagger singing it. That's why we have recorded a proper video.

- Only in the Dark sounds very 80's. It could have been the soundtrack of Pretty in Pink.

- We've never been living our lives according to the music we make

- Sometimes people listen to our songs and they remind them other songs. It doesn't happen to us. (the journalist talks about the album saying it sometimes reminds him to Fundamental and sometimes to Release). We didn't pretend to sound like them with it. I don't see the paralelism. The only one clear reference I see is what I said about Will-O-The-Wisp and Two Divided by Zero. Two songs talking about people moving and going from one place to another. Something usual in our discography. I suppose that's because we travel a lot. The sensation of movement is very musical.

- For the song Will-O-The Wisp, Neil recognaize the influence of Christopher Isherwood, writer of books like Mr. Morris. It inspired Cabaret. It's an idea of a lot of people Berlin has. The idea is similar to Two Divided By Zero; “Let’s not go home, we’ll catch the late train / I’ve got enough money to pay all the way". This time, there is a man in a subway watching a person he always loved. The final song is Wedding in Berlin (Neil says laughing, like it was a big spoiler).

- About Dreamland, Olly is a good singer and we wanted to collaborate with him. When we composed the song, we didn't know the kind of song we were going to do. We didn't think it was going to become a duo between two queer icons. When he came to the studio, having a cup of coffe, he talked to us. Telling he had been in Dreamland. An amusement park I knew. I thought it was wonderful thing for a song and we started with it. Using a bassline composed by Chris. We wanted to give it a politic way. It's a song about freedom and not only for gay people. It's a bit like Go West but the message it's not so obvious and there is a mysticism there. It talks about getting away like the first song of our first album

ABOUT GAY TOPICS:

- When we started Jimmy Somerville was a very activist for the gay rights with a strong politic message. Olly is a bit like that but in a different way because he lives in a different moment. He was born when people were more open minded with queer people. It is amazing to use the word "queer" in the way we do now because in the 80's it was an insult and it was great we approach the word and we could be proud of it. The word has a bit of mistery but I like it, "gay" is softer. For the new generation is easier to talk about themselves, they work in a different way. Pop music has many real stories from the singers who wrote the songs. I don't talk about my life in our songs and if I did it was like I was another person. I feel free when I put myself in other's shoes.

- Sometimes music can help us. An Australian journalist made an interview to George Michael and he said he used to play Being Boring when he felt sad. It made me happy to know that. The song talked about the AIDS crisis from the late 80's. On that song I talk about a friend of mine who died and I can see his face when I sing that song, like he was by my side on the stage. At that time, we were really succesful, Chris and I were Number 1 again and again. But a friend of mine was dying in a hospital. A wild contrast. Being a pop start and going to visit him in a hospital.These senstations remain.

ABOUT POP MUSIC AND AGE:

- Talking about the new generation of Divas (Note: the interviewer asked him about Rosalia, probably the most famous Spanish singer nowadays. Neil says: "Is Rosalita her name?, I don't know her"), they haven't invented the power. Chris and I have been working with a big number of powerful women artists. My favourite is Cher, I love the way she starts the concerts of her new tour, saying she is 73 years old and asking to the public: what do you believe grandma is going to do tonight?. For me, she is powerful against conventions and cliches about age. Whoever who does that has my admiration. Anyway, we don't want to sing with a diva. Well, does Olly count like a Diva? (Neil laughs). We love Crissie Hyde and we have been collaborating with her.

- We do not plan to retire and please those who have prejudices about age. The age reflects a physical way but if you have pop inside, you are not able to stop it. I don't stop thinking about it, except when reality makes me do that. Chris and I compose for pleasure and then we choose the songs we want to release. I belive you can feel the joy feeling we have when we create music. We talked about age in one song: Invisible (form Elysium). We love having fun, that's why we keep on working on songs like Monkey Business

- We are not looking for transcendence in our songs. We talk about very serious things sometimes but in a smoot way. We don't want to force the listener in a transcendent way. Artists who do that look like they don't have any kind of talent.

- Everything we make is very instintive.

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1408 Beitrag von Roland »

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1409 Beitrag von Roland »

Tenlow
Insider
Insider

#1410 Beitrag von Tenlow »

ChrisPSB
Insider
Insider

#1411 Beitrag von ChrisPSB »

6/10 auf plattentests.de - inhaltlich auch etwas dürftig, Stand jetzt, also nach knapp zweiwöchiger Bekanntschaft - würde ich Hotspot allerdings mit derselben Punktzahl bewerten. Im Gegensatz zu Neil denke ich nicht, dass Hotspot eines ihrer besten Alben ist.

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1412 Beitrag von Roland »

Ein sogenannter Redaktions-Netzwerk-Artikel, zu finden in Variation bei verschiedenen Publikanten:

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inha ... 16eff.html

loveetc123
PetHead
PetHead

#1413 Beitrag von loveetc123 »

Alles zusammen habe ich schon wesentlich "schlechtere" Beurteilungen für ein Album der PSB gelesen,in früheren Zeiten,da gab es auch mal 2 von 5 Sternen oder 4/10 Punkte.Passt schon.

Bei "Wedding in Berlin" geht es ja von Kitsch bis weltklasse,alles dabei und die Balladen mag man halt oder nicht.Was aber auffällt,das "Will-O-The-Wisp" ja echt eine richtige Granate sein muss,bin echt so gepannt drauf.

Tenlow
Insider
Insider

#1415 Beitrag von Tenlow »

ChrisPSB hat geschrieben:
Di 21. Jan 2020, 08:09
6/10 auf plattentests.de - inhaltlich auch etwas dürftig, Stand jetzt, also nach knapp zweiwöchiger Bekanntschaft - würde ich Hotspot allerdings mit derselben Punktzahl bewerten. Im Gegensatz zu Neil denke ich nicht, dass Hotspot eines ihrer besten Alben ist.
Wie würdest du Electric und Super im Vergleich zu den 6/10 für Hotspot sehen?

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1416 Beitrag von Roland »

Trevis
Insider
Insider

#1417 Beitrag von Trevis »

Im ARD-Text auf Seite 422 https://www.ard-text.de/index.php?page=422# gibt's eine kleine Nachricht von Neil mit dessen Vorliebe für Berlin.

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1418 Beitrag von Roland »

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1419 Beitrag von Roland »

Das DPA-Interview (wohl ziemlich vollständig) aus dem Herr Tennant heute bereits zitiert wurde.

Neil verrät, wer die One-Off-Vinyl-Pressung mit der Ur-Fassung von "Wedding in Berlin" erhalten hat.

https://www.wz.de/kultur/neil-tennant-d ... d-48464607

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1420 Beitrag von Roland »

Hotspot-Rezi im renommierten kanadischen Kultur-Magazin exclaim.ca.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/pet_shop_boys-hotspot

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1421 Beitrag von Roland »

Hotspot in der Berliner Morgenpost:

https://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/articl ... ndorf.html

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1422 Beitrag von Roland »

Pet Shop Boys, Hotspot, Freunde, Gefühle und das Erwachsenwerden:

https://nbhap.com/stories/growing-up-gr ... oys-legacy

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1423 Beitrag von Roland »

Die Rezension des "Tagesspiegel" ist Bestandteil der Feuilleton-Presseschau, von Gregor Sander, auf Deutschlandfunk-Kultur.

Nachhörbar hier:

https://srv.deutschlandradio.de/themes/ ... D=3&state=

Uhrzeit: 05.52 Uhr / Datum: 22.01.2020

Roland
Insider
Insider

#1424 Beitrag von Roland »

Roland
Insider
Insider